Aiken County EOC on Current Operations for Hurricane Michael
Representatives from Aiken County’s Emergency Operations Center began operations for Aiken County. Hurricane Michael is listed as a Category 4 storm by the National Hurricane Center.
At 12:00 pm, Aiken County EOC is currently operating at Operational Condition (OPCON) 1, the county’s highest state of emergency preparedness.
Aiken County Government will continue normal operations for the remainder of today and will be open October 11, 2018. Aiken County School District has sent out notifications that all public schools will be closed tomorrow. Other closings to note:
* Best Friend Express and Pony Express will not be operating October 11th. Full service will resume October 12th
* Aiken Senior Life Services will be closed October 11th and will reopen on October 12th
Please dial 911 for all emergencies. For non-emergency situations, please call Help Line 211 for all information related to Hurricane Michael, including community shelter availability, and pet-friendly sheltering options. 211 hotline can also be accessed by calling (877) 648-9900.
* Community shelters are expected to open at 4:00 pm October 10, 2018
o Friendship Baptist Church;
o Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist
o Wagener First Baptist Church
Motorists are asked to dial *HP (*47), NOT 911, if they become stranded or are involved in minor collisions. South Carolina Highway Patrol will be responding to any traffic collision as they are reported.
The Emergency Operations Center will update media members whenever new facts and information become available, with timely information being made public on Aiken County Emergency Management’s Facebook Page, at facebook.com/AikenCountyEMD/. The State Emergency Management Division’s website, at www.scemd.org’ . Aiken County Government Facebook Page, at facebook.com/AikenCountyGovernment/
Residents are asked to continuously monitor changing conditions and updates via media outlets.
KEY FACTS AND UPDATED STORM INFORMATION
FROM THE AIKEN COUNTY EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER
* The current weather forecast calls for 2-6 inches of rain locally
* Moderate to heavy rain fall
* Expect 20 to 35 mph winds with gusts up to 55 mph
* Flash Flood Watch is in effect especially for low lying and poor drainage areas
TIPS FOR AIKEN COUNTY CITIZENS AND VISITORS
* Stay tuned to the weather
* Don’t travel on the roadways unless it is absolutely necessary
* Take your time driving and share the road
* Don’t drive on water covered roadways